Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The woman in the window

The whole thing started about three years ago, the day I departed for a ten week tour through Australia. I went out to the street that morning a few hours before having to leave for the airport, to put my first bag into our car. I looked left... looked right... looked left again, and could still not locate our black Hyundai. "Manolo"... I yelled, "did you move the car last night?" "No!" I heard him reply, and went back inside.
"Well... then it was either stolen, or towed".
We very quickly figured out, that option B was the case, and frantically started making phone calls to inquire about how to get our vehicle back. In the midst of it all, finally a neighbor came forward, saying that we were parked in the handicapped spot across the street, and that the daughter of the old Lady who lives there called the cops on us. Within a minute I went through just about every emotion. Anger at myself, worry about my airport call only a few hours later, embarrassment about the whole situation, frustration about the money it would cost to get the damn thing back. To make a long story a little shorter... after taking several cabs, spending a lot of money and a very stressful morning, we got the car back and made it in time for my trip down under.
From the beginning on though, this whole ordeal had flaws that were hard to ignore. The biggest flaw was that the Lady who actually lives in the house with the handicapped spot doesn't own a car, and is therefor legally not entitled to a 24 hr parking spot. Months later, Manolo and a friend of ours attended a council meeting, talked to cops and found out that there was a time frame set for the space, but the sign specifying the times was removed by - probably the Lady's son in law. That, of course, changes the entire case and means that our car being towed was not only wrong, but actually a felony. We could in theory sue not only the Lady, but also the police for not investigating properly before taking action of such proportions. After all; we lost a chunk of money, and gained a lot of wrinkles over the matter.
But time went by, and we let the whole thing rest. About a year later the missing sign was back, and I now make sure to park my car there as often as possible - within the allowed time frame, and i mean... TO THE MINUTE.
Needless to say, the Lady has not become our favorite neighbor on the block, but I do nod my head "hello" when I walk by the window she sits in all day long.
Last week I passed her house on my way home from my walk, when Kitry slowed down right under the Lady's window to sniff and find out what's new and happening on the street. Within a second the fragile Dame jumped out of her chair as if she was bitten by a Tarantula, pointed at Kitry and screamed at the top of her lungs: "Pick it up!!! Pick it up!!! Do you hear? Pick it up!!!
I thought I was in the twilight zone. First of all; there was nothing to pick up except for Kirty herself. Secondly; I held a baggy with her "stuff" in my hand already and thirdly; IF Kitry was about to "make", she would've not even had enough time to position herself properly before Miss "I'm not so fragile after all" started going up the roof!
First off: I LOVE old people. I have the highest respect for them. I have grandparents whom I dearly love, and I believe that every senior citizen on the planet deserves to be treated with courtesy. But damn it... I have had it with this one. I screamed back at her:
"There is nothing to pick up, you hag!" No, I am not proud of losing my temper, but what I really wanted to do was to place the baggy I held in my hands right on her doorstep - with a smile on my face. So, considering this, the fact that all I did was yell proves a great deal of self control on my part and deserves recognition.
What bothers me about it is... well... SO MUCH about this situation. WHY is she sitting in her window, just waiting and hoping somebody will come by for her to yell at? WHY does she just assume that everybody out there is doing something wrong? WHY is she so damn bitter? WHY (and this is serious, because I actually worry about that) does she spend her last years in anger and negativity, instead of being peaceful and happy? What does this woman look back on when she is laying on her death bed? Who wants to be THAT person? The funny thing is that I would be the kind of neighbor who would knock on an old person's door before going to the grocery store, checking if he/she needed anything. Yes... this Lady could have a friend on the block, instead of a guy who writes and publishes frustrated blogs about her!
I know life is hard, and I am sure she has had her share of tough times. I also believe that time and circumstances mold a person, and I am fully aware that I myself am on my way to becoming a cynic. But at least I am laughing about things, and am not making people around me miserable. If I ever get to that point... please take a heavy object and knock me over the head with it - no matter how old, fragile, sad or tired I am. There is no excuse for nasty behavior and bad manners, no matter if you are young, old, gay, straight, democrat, republican, Christian, Buddhist, from Earth or from Mars. I don't think people get bitter and vicious because they are alone. People end up alone if they are bitter and vicious. So here is my wish to everybody - for a better, friendlier and happier world to live in: Be nice (damn it!)

No comments: