Monday, May 26, 2008

Summer and Salsa...


It is Monday (Memorial day), and a long weekend is coming to an end. Aside from being a LONG weekend, it has also been the first really warm, sunny and summer-like weekend of the season. Finally... no more freezing at night while watching TV with layers of clothes on (I have absolutely refused to turn on the heat since early April, and our evenings and mornings have been rather chilly so far). But all this seems to be over, and there is nothing I enjoy more than to sit in our back yard or in the breakfast room with the door to the yard open. I love this time of year, and for the first time I get to really enjoy it. (For the past eight years this has been the time to start the annual 2 month Japan season with the Trocks.)
Some of you know our yard, and must agree that it is quite the lovely place to spend a quiet Sunday afternoon in! The birds are singing, Roses are in bloom, Lavender is spreading its fresh scent, the water fountain is... well, actually the water fountain isn't doing anything, since I accidentally let the pump freeze in over winter. But aside from that, it is an amazing retreat and our own little paradise. That is, of course, if your idea of paradise includes nine hours of salsa music blasting all Sunday long!
Our dear neighbors love to have every close and distant relative over to their yard for family reunions every weekend, with Latin American beats loud enough to entertain the entire South Ward! I know that I will have to say something about it soon, because there is no way I will spend the summer cha-cha-ing to Gloria Estefan. I keep catching myself moving rhythmically or tapping my foot, which is clearly the result of my past as a dancer and does NOT mean that I actually enjoy the afternoon disco! I am just amazed at people, and angry that they put us in a place where we HAVE to even say anything! Is our property not as close to theirs, as theirs is to ours??? I understand that listening to your favorite music on full volume is fun, but I can't just force my dear Whitney Houston or Cher on everybody who lives within a two mile radius of my (very powerful) Bose speakers! Although I do wonder if maybe an afternoon of "I wanna dance with somebody", "If I could turn back time", "Don't rain on my parade" and "Somewhere over the rainbow" would set an end to this situation without me having to actually confront them!? Passive aggression has always worked best for me, and so I say:
"... Thank you for the music"! I know that "Music makes the people come together", but sometimes "Silence is golden"! And "As time goes by" you'll have to learn that "You are not alone", but merely "One singular sensation" among many "People who need people"! Of course... "This land is your land", but "this land is MY land", too. So please "Try to remember" that "It's not right but it's OK" to play loud music "From a distance", but we live really "Close to you" and you need to "Think" about that.

No comments: