Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A glass of (Trenton) water, please

When a while ago the "Trenton makes- the world takes" sign was repaired - or replaced (?) - I had this brief moment of thinking: What exactly does Trenton make these days? I even wondered if Trenton at least made the sign stating that "Trenton makes" whatever it supposedly makes. Personally, I am only familiar with the very cool ANA candle place, where Manolo and I go once a year to stock up on mood- lighting, but other than that I simply cannot come up with anything else that is actually made here. So when I got wind of Trenton selling Trenton Water, it got me a little worried; assuming that this might - in fact - be the only thing left in this town that actually brings money TO the town.
So - last night my friend Christine took me to a meeting to fight the sale of Trenton Water, and I have to say that I was very impressed. I am not gonna lie...: I was certainly not an ACTIVE participant for several reasons. 1 - as a foreigner I cannot sign any petitions. 2 - there was a lot of talk about political insight I simply don't have. 3 - I enjoyed just listening in, learning and trying to understand what the hell is going on. And honestly; I walked out of the meeting STILL not fully understanding what exactly it is our dear Mayor has in store for "his" (oh wait... isn't it OUR???) city. Let me just put it in my words - the way I understood it:
Farmer X owns a large potato field that grows enough potatoes to feed his entire family. In fact - the field had been in his family for generations, and has fed the family for centuries. One day farmer X wakes up and decides that he wants to sell his potato field. Maybe the thought of quick profit lured him into this plan... or maybe he is secretly planning on leaving the farm and the family, and wants to make a buck to take with him. Either way, he made up his mind and he announces his plan at the dinner table. The family takes some time to think, but questions quickly arise: Once we don't own the field anymore, how much are we gonna have to pay for the same damn potato we used to just pick off the field? Since the potato field is virtually the family's only source of income, how can that income be replaced? How much is the future owner really paying, and where is that money going to? What brought all this up in the first place? What would George Washington say about the complete downfall of the very field HE once fought a historic battle on? (I am getting carried away...). And while the farmer has never been a great leader of the family to begin with, the fact that he doesn't answer any of those questions only deepens the family's dislike of him. They get together in a chamber up above the dining room, try desperately to fight for the good and the future of the family, feel lied to, misguided and ignored by the very person who should only have the family's best interest at heart.
Now - please feel free to educate me if my understanding of the situation is incorrect. And if you do, I would appreciate if you did so by using my rather artistic potato- scenario. It somehow makes more sense to me than water. But also:
As a none- American, all I can do is sit through a meeting, show my support and write my little blog. But YOU guys out there actually have a say in this situation. This is a country led by its residents and by caring, everyday people who know what is right and wrong. Thanks to all the people who are getting together to fight for US, to all the people who are standing up for Trenton by speaking out or by simply putting their names on a piece of paper. I encourage everybody to go out there, sign what needs to be signed, say what needs to be said and do what needs to be done in order for us to enjoy our own potatoes from our own field.

No comments: