Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Things I wonder about...

This post will be more or less a list of things I wonder about in everyday life. Strange things... random things... things that catch my attention for no obvious reason, although I am sure a lot of people out there ask themselves the same questions.

Why do the bad weeds in our back yard grow so much faster than the good stuff we plant? I don't get it. The good plants get attention, get clipped, watered, spoken to and pampered, and yet they are outgrown and overgrown by all kinds of weeds that seem to just not get enough. And when we know that bad weeds grow so much faster, fuller and stronger, why don't we just deliberately plant weeds? It could save us a lot of time pulling weeds!

What's up with the "smile guaranty" at a lot of the Mc Donald's? They claim to hand out a free order of fries if the customer does not receive a smile by the time he/she pays for his/her (happy) meal. The result is that we still have the same angry, bitter person behind the counter, now simply pulling up the corners of his/her mouth for a split second while handing us our change. Is there a legal definition for what a smile is supposed to be? Because I now don't only feel treated poorly, but also cheated!

Is there a rule that says that all UPS employees have to be handsome? Seriously... I strongly believe that UPS doesn't just hand out job applications; I think they are holding auditions. Or maybe they have people recruiting guys off the street, like modeling agencies...: "You're hot! Ever thought about a career as a UPS delivery guy?"

Can people request for a television commercial to be taken off the air? Of all the bad and annoying commercials out there, there is one that truly gets to me. It is an ad for a pregnancy test, where at some point you see a stream of liquid shooting down from the top left corner onto this little machine, while a voice tells us:" It is the most advanced piece of technology you will ever pee on!" First off all, the whole thing is just a little too graphic for me. Secondly - I sure hope it is not only the most advanced piece of technology - but actually the ONLY piece of technology people pee on. And thirdly - it is just a little too graphic for me! ( I know I said that already, but I can't say it enough).

Is there a way to collect signatures, requesting a leash- law for stupid people? I am specifically talking about those people who like to cross high traffic streets, thinking that the world has to stop while they make their way from one side to the other. And they are not running or stressing either. Oh no! Cool, calm, collected. I wonder if these guys have seen "Falling down" - you know... the film with Michael Douglas, where he goes nuts over these every day issues. That film must have been so much fun to shoot!

Bumper Stickers...! OK; while we all enjoy the freedom of speech, I do think that some things should just not be expressed on a bumper sticker. I get the "Support our troops" (especially the ones that continue with "bring them home")... I kinda giggle at "My child is an honor student at bla bla bla", because it makes me wanna get one that says "My Shih- Tzus are house trained". WHO CARES? But yesterday I was driving to work, when I noticed a sticker saying "Be American, Buy American". So my mind started wondering and exploring the depth of the statement. There is the question of WHERE countless of our products are actually produced - which in most cases is NOT the US, which opens a whole different chapter that I don't need to get into right now. There is also the fact that international trade is not a bad thing, since (as an example) Germany might benefit from the US buying their beer, while the USA benefits from Germany buying their Levi's. But all these questions became secondary and actually a waste of time when one little detail caught my attention: The sticker was on the bumper of a Honda! I won't say any more, since I am at high risk of getting too insulting, but... it makes one wonder.

I am sure I will return with more "things I wonder about" soon, but for today I will leave it at that. I wish everybody a happy Independence Day and a great weekend! Relax, enjoy,... and when you go shopping, don't forget to BUY AMERICAN. (I think there are great sales on Toshiba lap tops!!!)

No comments: