Thursday, June 19, 2008

The green- thing


I have this habit of stating my opinion about things I really don't know too much about. I find that in doing so, usually one of two things happens: I either sound like a complete idiot, or I actually hit it right on by approaching a subject from a very basic point of view. Let's see what happens this time!?
Wherever we look these days we are surrounded by talk about "living green". Everything is green, greener and much greener. I am obviously not saying anything against it, seeing that our dear planet Earth certainly needs a little bloody support from her occupants. And while I do believe that we should all take part in making a difference, I can't help but wonder about the way we are being guilted into buying overpriced products that are called "green". Sorry... I would like to get a "recycled glass counter top", a hybrid car or solar roof panels, but by the cost of all those items I have to assume that producers of such "green" products are not too eager to actually sell them to a significant enough number of people. I am sure that manufacturing costs are high, bla bla bla... and we consumers are encouraged to bite the bullet and spend the money because "it's the right thing to do". In my opinion the right thing to do would be for the manufacturers to bite the bullet and sell their stuff for a price the average Joe can actually afford. And what makes it worse for me is to see celebrities and politicians look at me through the TV and talk about the importance of "going green". Well... screw you! The money I make in a year would not even buy you a hand bag!
Believe me, I would like to contribute to the cause. I live on the planet, too, and I actually love it. Don't get me wrong... I am trying to do my part, but so far the only really successful thing for me has been to reuse my grocery bags to pick up kitry's and fiby's poop with.
I tried to buy a solar- operated pump for my water fountain - couldn't find it.
I tried to use paper bags at the supermarket - broke while loading my stuff in the car.
I tried to not turn all the lights on all the time - I bumped into stuff (OK... that was a joke).
But I am trying to take the bus to go to work some days, since Manolo and I work in opposite directions. And let me tell you; it is one more of those things where they make it just so damn hard to "go green". The other day I was done working at 1PM, walked to the bus stop... waited... waited... waited...! Guess at what time I was at my front door!? At 3:30. Driving there doesn't even take 20 minutes. I have dogs that need to walk, I have floors that need to get scrubbed and I have a blog to write for crying out loud.
So; as long as it costs thousands of dollars more for that hybrid, or it takes hours online to find that water pump, or three paper bags to support my groceries or three hours to get home from work I simply don't have it in me to "go green". And I will not feel guilty about it either. They want me to stop smoking, they bump the cigarette prices up. Now you want me to go green, then get the "green" prices down. It's that simple.

2 comments:

Christine Ott said...

Good points!

A couple of quick -- and perhaps annoying -- thoughts:

My Bro-in-Law installs large solar panels on the roofs of businesses, agencies, and even some private residences, and says, unfortunately, right now, they are VERY expensive to manufacture. But there are government incentives, he says -- rebates, etc. -- AND, you can sell back your energy to the electric company, too. It may not be enough to put solar panels within reach of most of us in Trenton, but maybe it will be easier in a couple of years.


Instead of paper or plastic, maybe reusable canvas bags are the way to go? I have a bunch, but unfortunately usually forget to bring them to the store. If you think you'll be more likely to remember to bring them, I'll give you some! But like you, we use the plastic again to pick up animal poop. But I suppose, even if you bring cloth bags here and there, it will make a difference, and some stores offer a small discount for doing so.

Mistër Cleän said...

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.

This being America, the "Green Craze" is a sexy fad that will simmer down in due time - probably after everyone's made their money by pitching All Things Green.

I see it as a redux of the "Low Carb" madness of a few years ago. While it turned into just another way to separate consumers from their money, there were some worthy dietary lessons to be learned from it.

Along those lines, my hope is that we all take some good lessons away from the Green Craze, and do our own little part in decelerating the destruction of our environment.