Sunday, September 28, 2008

What's been going on...

First of all...
Am I Paris Hilton, or why do I keep receiving letters from Law Firms who want to represent me in fighting my traffic tickets??? I have gotten five of them so far (letters I mean... NOT tickets!!!). Seriously... I know that I have crossed that red light, and I honestly think that I have to just bite the bullet and pay the damn money. The Lawyers also only write about the red light... not about the license issue. The ticket for the traffic light is $80, and I am pretty sure that a Lawyer bill would be way higher than that. I just think it's amazing how they are so "attentive" and "willing to help" over this! How do they even know about it? If I felt the need to argue my case, would it not be ME contacting THEM?
Oh well... I have my license renewed, got a couple of points and have to just deal with the consequences of my actions. It feels wrong to me to fight something I know I did wrong. What could I possible say without blushing? It was a red light, for Christ's sake. No argument in the world can make it green!
The past week has been quite busy, and I gain more and more respect for my mom who has been a working parent for most of her life. I actually found myself reading an article online about how to get work, household, "babies" and a bit of down time into a 24 hour day. Yes... I can now be found at the self help isle at Barnes and Nobles!
I have also been more exhausted than I thought I would be once I stopped dancing. But the truth is that it is a very different kind of exhaustion. As a dancer, there are long days, late nights... lots of physical work. But there was also a lot of quiet time when - for example - a piece was rehearsed that I was not in, or when during a stage rehearsal I would kind of "walk" through the piece. Once it was time for the show, adrenaline kicked in, and got me through just about anything for a couple of hours. I would push through it, get myself into "performance mode", and before I knew it the curtain came down. Don't get me wrong... there were many moments when I thought I would die of exhaustion, but the work in a theater is basically made of several "rush hours" mixed in with a few "down hours".
Working for eight hours in a "regular" job is a very different level of constant dealing with other people, issues, thinking, being friendly, suggesting, sharing ideas, finding solutions and making people leave happily. It is a lot of fun, but it is draining on a level I didn't know about before I actually did it.
I think that every kid should work in retail at least once. It teaches you a lot of people skills, a lot of "problem solving" skills and a lot of patience. And I have to say... it is a great feeling to know that a client walked into the store in an obviously bad mood with no idea how to solve a specific home- house- room- issue, and to see that same customer leave an hour later with a smile and a solution.

The babies are doing very well... although I have not slept in ONCE after we got Fiby. She is a ball of energy who will not stop playing... EVER! I guess she spends many hours sleeping while we are at work, and needs to get her energy out when we are home. But must this happen at three, four, five and six in the morning? And of course... once I finally get up at seven and take her downstairs, she lays down under the table and goes right back to a lovely, peaceful sleep. Bitch! She is doing it right now! I want to wake her up and disturb her rest so badly!!! I wonder if it would work to use her own weapons against her!?
Oh well... another gray, rainy day is starting. I like this season; there is something about the grayness that always makes me think about life. I guess in a way this time of year reminds me of the way life works. That there are not always sunshine, blue skies and clear summer nights. But how can we appreciate those things without the cloudy, depressing days?
Anyway... another cup of coffee can't hurt before getting ready for work.
More soon!!!

No comments: