Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ten years ago...

On the 24th of September, it will be exactly ten years of me living in the United States of America. And although I consider myself very much a "matter of fact" person, those "mile stone"- dates always give reason to think and thank.
I am one of the thousands of young artists who moved to NY "for a year" that never ended; where one thing lead to the next, and who suddenly found himself more at home in a foreign country than in his original home.
I have learned a lot about myself and about life by taking this rather risky step in 1998. I went through a lot of great times, but also through a lot of hard times, and I wonder if I could do it all again today. Honestly... I don't think so. There is a reason why people have to be extremely young to do certain things, and looking back it is this youth and fearlessness that is responsible for my not giving up.
I knew I was in for quite the adventure, when on my way from the airport to the place I was staying at (the apartment of a friend's friend, who graciously took me in and shared her place with me) my cab got into a car crash. My head banged against the window, and I actually blacked out for a moment. When I came to, a cop opened the back door, asked me if I was OK, and after learning that I just moved to NY said: "what a welcome!!!".
I later went through periods without knowing where I would spend the night; periods where I had no money, and my belongings were scattered through several friends' places. I went through times where I would have wanted to just go back home, but didn't allow myself to give up.
Yes... I became an adult in this country. I learned about the importance of being proud of who you are and where you are and what you do. Manolo and I were in NY on 9/11, and saw the city and her people go through tragedy, and I saw myself get more and more attached to the place that had such a big influence on who I have become. I started to understand the concept of patriotism - a concept that is foreign to the average German. We are taught in school and by our families that our bad history does not allow us to be proud of who we are. And until I saw with my own eyes how strong the American belief in their country, their rights and their freedom is, I never even understood how amazing this pride can be. How important it is to feel that way about one's roots. How empowering it is, and how strong it can make an individual and a country. Feeling this power all around me has made me want to be a part of it. Just seeing how the sound of the "American Anthem" makes the eyes of an American light up. I am not sure if this is obvious to the ones who are born and raised in the middle of it all, but to me it is wonderful.
I love being here... (despite the fact that for eight of my ten years a rather unfortunate little guy was living in the White House.)
Ten years ago...; I guess today - ten years ago - my flight was already booked; I probably started putting some stuff in my over sized suitcase; I probably said "good bye" to some people that I wouldn't see before my departure; I probably said "yes... I am sure" a thousand times to my mom who still hoped I would change my mind.
It is interesting to me how everything BIG that happens in life is always a result of taking risks. There are all these moments when we choose to do something that might either break our backs, or get us to a better place in life. Why is that? Is it the universe's way of "testing" how much we are willing to give for our goals?
I don't know; but this is an interesting time for me... once again. A time of change and a time of jumping without knowing how broken or strong I will be once I land. But what I do know is that I am in the right place and that I am proud of being a part of America.
Did I ever mention that at the age of twelve I would tell people that one day I will live in the USA? Isn't that strange? Before I spoke a word of English (except for the lyrics to "I wanna dance with somebody"). Come to think of it... I think at that time I just wanted to come here to be closer to Whitney Houston. And hey... she was born in Newark; Trenton is a pretty close shot!!!???

No comments: