Monday, August 11, 2008

Anybody wants a dog?

If you think I am offering one of our Babies, you must be out of your mind! But there is a little dog "living" (I will explain the "" in a second) diagonally across the street from us, who desperately needs a new home.
I remember when those guys first got their little puppy - he was tiny, cute, playful and sweet. A brown, wiry little thing; probably some mix. As time went by, we started seeing him more and more on the sidewalk without a leash or collar. And in the past few weeks the situation clearly got out of control. He seems to spend more time running the streets than in his home, and it is a miracle to me that he has not been hit by a speeding car yet.
I obviously love dogs, but this one is starting to really bug me. I know, I know... it is not his fault. But the fact is that whenever he comes our way, Fiby acts like a little tramp and is impossible to walk. She wants to play (or god knows what) with him, and I can literally see fleas jumping from his hair into hers. Aside from that - there is no more thought of doing her business, because he becomes the main focus of her walk. So here I am... pressured for time to walk my dogs before having to run to work, and here HE is, distracting Fiby from doing what I have trained her to do for months now. And whenever he sees us walk, he follows us the entire walk. There is no shaking him off. We can run, but we cannot hide. Well... those are my selfish problems with the dog across the street. The not-so-selfish problem I have with the situation is the poor little guy, who was clearly brought into the wrong house. Why the hell do people have animals if they can't take proper care of them? I would understand if they had gotten the dog for their kid, who might now be over the initial excitement of having a pup. But there is no kid. It is all adults who like to hang out on their stoop and look at Manolo and me like we are crazy people, walking our well behaved, well taken care of dogs. Twice in the past few weeks I knocked on their door, bringing their dog back who followed us for twenty minutes around the neighborhood. If I am not upset about our peaceful walk being disturbed, I am mostly sad for the dog, who shows clear signs of fleas, skin diseases and hunger.
I sometimes watch "Animal Cops" on TV, and am wondering if such a thing exists in this part of the country!? Since we know who he belongs to, I wished some authority figure could talk some sense into those guys. I really don't want to call animal control, because I don't want them to take him and do god-knows-what to him. He is cute, with only one ear standing up, looking a little clumsy and silly. I could see him being a very sweet pet and making somebody very happy. Unfortunately Manolo and I are fully committed to Shih-Tzu's, and most of all: Fiby has not been spayed, since we are hoping to find a nice SHIH TZU (!!!!!!!) boy for her to have puppies with in the not so far future. The last thing we need is an unplanned pregnancy with an unidentifiable half- stray, and her good reputation is ruined! She is already considered the "Paris Hilton" of the family, and after an affair with "one-ear", no respectable male would look at her twice!
So... If anybody out there wants to be a good parent to a sweet dog, hang out in my neighborhood, and help the little guy out! Obviously his owners are not too eager to have him, and not too concerned about him getting lost to begin with. The next time I see him, I'll try to take a picture of him and post it. He needs help, and he needs it before bugs, disease or a car get the better of him.

No comments: